Byker Aspire is a community organisation working out of St Michael’s Church in the heart of Byker, East Newcastle.
The goal of Aspire is to create a vibrant community-hub in the heart of the community. A community that reaches the socially excluded, brings people together, and delivers a wide range of life-enhancing services and opportunities for everyone – whatever your age, faith and ethnicity.
We work in partnership with other Charities and local organizations and also develop our own projects to promote or improve the following qualities.
“That they may have life and have it in abundance”
We want to promote healthy living.
We want to encourage people to recognize and use their gifts and skills, providing opportunities for people to learn and work together for the benefit of Byker.
We look for opportunities that bring people in Byker together and which fosters closer friendship and support.
We want to provide safe and welcoming places for people to gather that are accepting of them no matter what their faith, sexuality, or ethnicity. We want to reach out to those who are vulnerable and socially excluded.
Our objectives for 2018:
- Developing our ‘Cross café’ as a community Hub and Café promoting friendship, healthy eating and living.
- To continue to maintain the ‘Byker Garden’ and promote projects around it to promote learning and healthy living.
- To run a range of activities, events and services, which promote greater social cohesion among the people of Byker.
- To plan a series of arts and cultural events in Byker with the aim of encouraging talent and enabling it to grow in the area.
- We will continue to work with St Michael’s Church in developing the Church building as both an accessible space suitable for various community activities and as a place of Christian worship.
- We will continue to encourage other organizations to make use of the Church building and its facilities.
We are hugely grateful to the following donors who have recently helped us develop and sustain our work:
- The Port of Tyne
- The Catherine Cookson Trust
- The Balinger Trust
- WH Smith
- Tyne and Wear Community Foundation
Registered Company number: 06342364 (England and Wales)
Registered Charity number: 1127113
St Michael’s Centre
2 Raby Cross